Pages

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Loss of a Language

There's a special type of shame an immigrant feels as she returns to the homeland, attempts to speak, and sounds like a moron. Every time I go to Finland, my mouth is at first incredibly clumsy. I struggle piecing together a sentence of more than three words. Those four, five syllable words, that the Finnish language is so abundantly blessed with, get stuck in my throat and come out mangled and maimed. All the conjugating just kills me.
Humans have migrated since the dawn of time. There's nothing special about leaving one's country. But unlike most immigrants, I left alone, with no one to speak my language to where I went. It was the prehistoric times before smart phones and social media - I didn't even have a laptop! Without Skype or Facebook newsfeed, my exposure to Finnish was close to none. My brain deemed it a thing of the past, and began letting go. I'd once known this language inside and out, confident of comma rules like a little nerd. I'd enjoyed its nuances and quirks, expressed myself and identified with it. Now, fresh off the plane in Helsinki, I stutter at the train station ticket counter, and raise eyebrows buying a pre-paid SIM card. There's something wrong with her is written all over the faces of those I encounter.
To make matters worse, I don't always remember or know how things work. The conductor has to explain the transfer several times before I get it. I arrive at the supermarket cash register with my vegetables unweighed, and hold up the line. I'll never forget the time I was stuck at a train station without cash - they wouldn't accept my 200 Euro bill. My money was no good at a grocery store, nor at a bar. All it got me was suspicious looks and runaround. Finally a kind taxi driver took me to a big supermarket equipped with bill scanners. Feeling lost and humiliated, I promptly burst into tears on the backseat. There's no place like home.
Until it happened to me, I didn't think a few years abroad could have such an impact. Why would anyone believe I wasn't faking it, then? Ah, she moved to America, and now she thinks she's better than us, I imagined people imagining.
The scenario repeated itself throughout the years. I landed all embarrassed, then got cozy with the language, and even learned a new word or two. (Such as some, pronounced saw-meh. Get it? It's short for social media.) As soon as I gained some confidence, it was time to leave. I'd return in a year or two, back in square one.
Nearing the ten year mark of immigrant life, I was done with the shame. I decided my shaky Finnish was excused once and for all. Now, I stutter with my head high. What a relief.

This past summer, I visited Finland with my Swiss boo. We planned to spend a day in Helsinki, then visit my family in the East of the country. There, we'd rent a big-ass RV and drive up to Lapland, loop around the Atlantic coast of Norway, and return via Sweden. I'd never brought anyone to Finland, and I was excited to see the place through the eyes of a tourist. It had been two years since my last visit, and the thought of pronouncing those long words and filling in the clueless foreigner was enough to tire my tongue.
"I'm not going to be your damn translator", I told the boyfriend. "Speak for yourself."
And what do you know: we received excellent service in English everywhere we went. The level of skill was what I'd expected, but the willingness to engage was a pleasant surprise. Scandinavia switched to relaxed and friendly English without missing a beat.
"How long have you been abroad?" asked the RV rental guy.
"Twelve years."
"Wow. No wonder."
That bad?
Back in the hometown, a friend's uncle offered a blunt analysis of the state of my mouth.
"Oh yeah, you've got that Yankee accent. T's and D's blend into one. My daughter sounds just the same."

Three months later, I returned to Finland in an entirely different state of mind. I entered through the door of my childhood home, leaving it cracked open for Death. Graciously, she waited outside for some hours so I could spend a little time with the living. Then she quietly let herself in.
Since I hadn't been gone for long, getting my Finnish on was easier than ever. For what I lacked in fluency, I made up in not giving a fuck. If I could make myself understood, it was good enough for me. By now I knew returning my Finnish to its former glory would require months of constant exposure - and double that time for tactful writing, or reading anything beyond a magazine without constant retakes.
In my old bedroom, I dug into the closet for some vintage treasures. It turns out I was an avid writer around the age of seven. I authored several books, made out of scrap paper, with plot lines varying between remotely clever and downright bizarre. To boost my credibility, I'd thrown in some fancy grown-up words, the meaning of which I hadn't quite understood. From there the learning curve went up, and it went down. Now I'm back to not having the complete command of any language.
At the morgue, I placed two white roses inside the casket, on behalf of my sister and I. Rest in peace dear Dad said the little card. I'd written it in the language of my childhood, so my Dad would better understand.
"Could we have a moment", I asked the staff, so my mother wouldn't have to speak.
"Of course", they said, and stepped outside.
In this most surreal of situations, I felt a misplaced jolt of pride for having so eloquently cleared the room. I was quite the linguist.
One of those days, my sister had a strange outburst. She accused me of being rude and bossy. I was at a loss. She gave me an example.
"Can you see if Mom needs help outside, since you have shoes on?" I had said, in a totally unacceptable tone.
Really?
True, I hadn't said 'please', since such a frivolous word did not exist in Finnish. I shrugged the incident off as a bout of death induced stress.
On the train to Helsinki, I had what Oprah calls an Aha! moment. When asking my sister to step out I'd translated the request into Finnish word by word. CAN YOU SEE IF MOM NEEDS HELP. It didn't work that way. The result was too formal. To me it sounded polite and proper, to her it came across as demanding.
I thought I was all fluent and shit. In reality, I'm tone deaf.
A while back, a Finnish expat blogger was wondering if one's first language could ever be replaced by another. I thought of replying, but coining up a coherent response in Finnish felt too difficult. Doing it in English, I feared, would have seemed pretentious and self-serving. The answer as I know it is that without maintenance and effort, it can and it will. However, losing ground on language does not equal losing identity. The self is not married to a title, a profession, a nationality. I am my thoughts and my beliefs, but the language in which I dress them is irrelevant.

The edge of Finland is not the airport. Finnish chatter accompanies me all through the first flight, out the plane and into the terminal. There it disappears like ashes into the wind, eluding me until the next visit. Before that, a few words may tease my ear on a Manhattan street, or the tourist trail of Southeast Asia.
Finnish thoughts pop into my head, becoming less frequent by the hour. In two days, they're gone. 

12 comments:

  1. Fantastic writing.. no pun intended, your english is sophisticated, clever and creative. I had a similar strange experience, after living in Italy for over a year I found myself confusing Italian & Romanian words at home while speaking to my family. Some lucky people have a mind that can perfectly retain languages over the course of many years, the studies point to this: people with a talent for speaking multiple languages with ease and over long periods of time tend to also be strong in mathematical skills.. both math & language use the same part of the brain. Something to think about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did the studies say anything about cooking? Math, languages, cooking are all things I have to relearn again and again. Must be the same storage area.
      Thank you love, I can imagine the stunned faces of your family...

      Delete
  2. I can very well relate to your experience with language. I speak Georgian with my parents, English with husband, friends and colleagues, which leaves Russian -- once the language I was most fluent in -- on the sidelines of my life. During the occasions that call for using Russian, I find myself clumsy and tongue-tied, not able to either enunciate the words or properly articulate my thoughts... Beautifully written, Zaina!

    -Evelina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You raise a good point: the first language is not necessarily ever the strongest language. Many second generation immigrants will attest to this. I think that kind of early exposure to several dominant languages lends itself to fluidity later in life. We'll consider it an asset :) Thank you sweetie

      Delete
  3. I must say I do not understand this writer. I have been away from Finland 46 years, the first years without much contact With Finnish language as the phone calls were expensive and I did not have a phone. I have acquired 2 more languages during these years but nobody has ever said anything negative of my use of Finnish Language. In these days I use all my three Languages almost daily. I am not saying that I am better or more clever, just that it takes a little effort and interest to learn and keep the Languages one has.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How long have you lived away from Finland? I moved abroad (aged 20) 51 years ago, and still speak Finnish quite well. Finnish language has changed in half-a-century, so I probably sound a touch old-fashioned, but people do understand me. -- 50 years ago, I spoke German fluently, having learned it at school and spent 2 years in Germany. However, through lack of use, I am very rusty these days. However, one's mother tongue is much harder to forget, even if you don't use it regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never said I forgot Finnish altogether, just that it has deteriorated quite a bit.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for an interesting blog post. :)

    I would disagree with some of the above comments. It is not impossible to feel that you no longer masters your native language. I am a linguist (i.e. I show interest towards languages and I am bringing my children up bilingually (Fin-Eng)). Regardless of this, I feel that the past 15 years that I've spent abroad has left my Finnish in an embarrassingly poor state, and no wonder, given that it is well known that frequently used lexical items and grammatical constructions tend to be easier for people to remember and to produce than infrequent ones, and thus people who have lived abroad for many years and rarely use their native language, can struggle with the production of that language.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Spoken like a true linguist :) Writing this post, I was simply speaking of my personal experience - shared by many, but not all immigrants. It obviously varies from one individual to another. Kudos for raising your kids to speak Finnish, it must require a ton of effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spoken by a true linguist :) I work as an associate professor of linguistics at a university in Osaka - sorry, I wasn't very clear above.

      Yes, bilingual upbringing takes a lot of effort, but it's so worth it :)

      Terkkuja!

      Delete
  7. I had an honor to meet the writer personally a few months ago. The short interaction left me smitten to this day for a few reasons which I’ll gladly share with the readers.
    The first encounter was when I saw her looking at me from a screen of a movie theater. Surely she couldn’t see me, as a spectator I was mesmerized watching her dancing, storytelling, starring in her own documentary about her fascinating life as a belly dancer. A talented person is talented in everything and it was apparent from the first sight that she comes, she sees, and conquers any endeavor she choosing. Although one might spot a narcissist, it was a treat to see her creation about her own experiences in natural presence of an artist.
    And then I had to meet her in person. As short as it was, the memory of the special occasion still fresh in my mind. Low key atmosphere was highlighted with her sparkling personality and witty comments. No nothing special to report but the true artist was at it’s best even then. Composed and confident look, gorgeous woman, intelligent awareness, sharp mind…oh boy do I sound like a school boy?
    It’s hard for me to relate to the movie or the book. However, the story fascinated me with the boldness of the choice of craft, traveling to, at times, dangerous locales, and has the talent to tell the world about it. Neither of that I can boast and It left me in owe from the event
    Sorry for such a long prelude but I did have a point to say about the essay. I finally found what I can relate to and couldn’t hold my breath to say about it. I am an immigrant, I do speak English as a second language, and I am from a country that is just next door from east Finland as it still hold its territory hostage. I grew up traveling and camping in the same woods and enjoyed the views of Scandinavian Atlantic coast. But it’s not all. Going back to my home country after many years abroad was a special experience. I would never be able to describe in such level of eloquence as her highness but I was touched by what a similar emotions it evoked.
    Zaina is a gorgeous woman inside and out. She is a talented treasure that makes this word a better place. With that highest standard I see she might approach to herself with a bit more criticism than we get to see around. Surely a person living abroad for a long time would lose some colors of speech and fluidity being away from the native environment. Moreover, language is an ever-changing metamorphosis of culture. Once you are out, well, you are out. She might lose touch with the most subtle nuances, a depth of one of the most difficult languages in the world (i.e. Finish). However, she did not lose the ability to communicate clearly or eloquence as she demonstrated in the essay.
    In short I applaud the creative gift of the woman and I am tipping my hat off yet again…

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete