Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

Pray, Dance, Puke

I woke up at 4am in a Lebanese mountain town. It was still dark. I waited until the morning light, and went out for a walk. The streets of Broumana were quiet and smelled like flowers. It was the second day of Ramadan, but you didn't notice that here. It was a Christian town.

Image
One of the numerous churches in Broumana, Lebanon
I stepped inside a Maronite church, and sat down on the nearest bench. There was a handful of women, all sitting quietly. I noticed that the center piece above the altar was a statue of Madonna with baby Jesus. I think most churches have a depiction of a crucified Jesus there. I liked the woman holding the baby instead.

Image
Inside a Maronite church
A priest walked in. I realized that the women were waiting for the mass to begin. A few more people trickled in. I decided to stay. It was the first time I sat through a church service in Arabic. The Maronite mass was nice and calm. There was a lot of singing. In the end, two little boys got up to touch the priest's hands, and then went around the church and touched everyone else's hands. I'd never seen that. It was sweet.
The following day I attended some sort of Bellydance Olympics. Which was what I was here for.

Image
The climate in the mountains is great in the summer, it doesn't get too hot
The Lady of Lebanon in Harissa, near the coastal town of Jounieh, is like Lebanon's version of Christ the Redeemer. A giant statue of Virgin Mary casts a merciful eye on the mortals beneath her. I don't know how I'd never made it there before. It was on my mind every time I came to Lebanon. Now I would finally do it.
You see, the Lady grants wishes. That's a true fact. At the tender age of 18, a friend of mine prayed to the Lady to make her a bellydancer. And a bellydancer she became, beautiful as a butterfly. She's one of the most talented people I know. It was a little late in my life to be wishing for that. I was going to ask for something entirely different.
There's nothing like a stomach bug to kill a great plan. A puking day is not a sightseeing day. I lay in bed, and managed to recover enough to fly at night.
The three days in Lebanon had been eventful. Highlight: seeing many dear friends, and making new ones. Low point: sitting on the floor of a taxi, vomiting by the roadside. But you know what they say: if you want to make the Lady of Lebanon laugh, tell her your plans. Guess I'll have to return another time.

Image
Mommy & baby

4 comments:

  1. Hahah love the comment encouragement, perfect. So I wanted to say firstly, cool story :) Although I'd have liked to have read more on the bellydance Olympics and the cancelled visit kinda comes as an anticlimax.. :( Better make it up that hill next time, or else..! Or else I will leave another comment I suppose. So yeah, not too scary there. Oh also if you ever want to use slideshows for photos (right now they distracted me a little from the story you were telling) play around with Photosnack, discovered it myself recently and I like it a lot - easy, embeddable and looks great! http://www.photosnack.com/ Keep blogging! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope we can make it together next time :) I wish to get there again soon!!! She makes your dreams come true!!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be great! You'd bring me extra luck, I would make at least ten wishes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember waking up that morning, (before your puking day) and being sooooooo happy to see you!

    So sad about your sick day, but, you know, sometimes forced-rest is what life tells you. I'm glad you're all better.
    Plus the silver lining, it gave you a brilliant title for your blog!

    kisses! Soon to meet again somewhere in the world!

    ReplyDelete